
FACADEs
TOWERS
.
NEIGHBORHOODS
Butler BROTHERS
c.1952
Lewiston, Maine
14 January 2025
Founded in 1952 by John and Frank Butler, the company was established to support the booming footwear industry in Northern New England after World War II. Seeing a demand for specialized products, the "Butler Brothers" became experts in shoe eyelets, abrasives, rubber products, and stitching supplies—vital materials for shoe factories and tanneries. They kept a local stock of products and frequently made deliveries in their station wagons. In 2000, Butler Bros. moved into their current home, a 68,000 sq. ft. building located on Lisbon Street.
FERGUSON Kitchen & Plumbing Supply Co.
c.1953
Lewiston, Maine
14 January 2025
Ferguson Plumbing Kitchen & Bath, a division of Ferguson Enterprises, previously operated a location in Lewiston, Maine. Ferguson Enterprises, founded in 1953, has grown to become a leading distributor of plumbing, HVAC, and building supplies across North America. The Lewiston branch, known as the Ferguson Selection Center, was located at 3 Middle St. However, this location closed, prior to 2018 and the nearest Ferguson showroom is now in Portland, Maine.
Bleachery and Dye Works
c.1866 - 1951
Lewiston, Maine
12 - 13 January 2025
The Lewiston Bleachery and Dye Works stands as the largest and most intricate textile industrial complex in the city. Anchored northeast of Gully Brook, this expansive site features a series of interconnected buildings. While the complex now includes 13 structures, it historically boasted 18 to 20, each playing a key role in the town's industrial legacy.
“In the 1860s, breakthroughs in chemical technology set the stage for the brilliant palette of colors used in the following decades. Screen printing was carried out at the Bates Lewiston Bleachery and Dye Works building on Lisbon Street in Lewiston.” - Auburn Storywalk, October 2022
In 1872, the Maine Legislature passed an Act to incorporate the Lewiston Bleachery and Dye Works. The act officially established the company as a corporation under the name "Lewiston Bleachery and Dye Works," granting Lyman Nichols, Benjamin E. Bates and William B. Wood, their associates, successors, and assigns, all the rights and responsibilities given to manufacturing companies in the state. The corporation was authorized to bleach, dye, and print cotton and flax goods, and could own real and personal property up to a value of one million dollars. The Act was approved on January 11, 1872.
In 1895, the Maine Sixty-Seventh Legislature authorized the Lewiston Bleachery and Dye Works to build and maintain a railroad track and trolley wire extending from its facility in Lewiston. The track would cross Lisbon Street and head westward to connect with the Maine Central Railroad Company’s tracks. The purpose of this infrastructure was to transport freight exclusively between the Lewiston Bleachery and Dye Works and the Maine Central Railroad, using electricity to power the system
Many Irishmen secured jobs at the Lewiston Bleachery and Dye Works, due to the fact that native-born job seekers viewed the work as undesirable. In 1850, nearly 75% of Lewiston’s unskilled labor force was Irish, More strikingly, unskilled labor accounted for almost 95% of employment available to Irish males at the time. Only a handful of Irish immigrants held skilled positions—among them, one contractor, one teacher, and one grocer.
.Pepperell Associates, a leading textile company in New England acquired the Lewiston Bleachery and Dye Works in 1902. This acquisition significantly strengthened Pepperell’s operations and expanded their product offerings, especially in the areas of bleaching and dyeing textiles. The early 20th century saw considerable consolidation within the textile industry, with many smaller mills, such as the Lewiston Bleachery and Dye Works, being absorbed by larger, well-established companies like Pepperell. This shift was driven by the growing demand for mass-produced textiles and the need for more efficient, larger-scale facilities to meet that demand.
Under Pepperell’s ownership, the Lewiston Bleachery and Dye Works continued to operate as part of a broader network of mills, processing textiles through bleaching and dyeing techniques to produce a variety of fabric products. Pepperell became renowned for manufacturing a wide range of textiles, including cotton goods like sheets, pillowcases, and other household items.
However, like many textile mills in the 20th century, the Lewiston Bleachery and Dye Works faced mounting challenges, including increased competition, labor disputes, and the overall decline of the textile industry in New England. These economic pressures led to the mill's closure in 1951,
“Lewiston Bleachery and Dye Works (Pepperell Associates): c. 1876. (Bldg.1) Built by the Franklin Company to provide finishing operations for associated Lewiston mills; now contains 18 buildings. Pepperell Associates assumed ownership in the 1920’s and added the sheet factory on Willow Street in 1929.”
“Lewiston Bleachery and Dye Works began operating in 1860. During its most productive years it employed 438 people and had a monthly payroll of $45,000. Annually, the Dye Works consumed $100,000 worth of drugs and dyes, 6,000 tons of coal, 1,800 barrels of lime, 360,000 pounds of bleaching powders, 260,000 pounds of sulphuric acid, 80 tons of potato starch, 200 tons of wheat and corn starch, 50 tons of sago flour, and 24 tons of flour.”
Quoddy
c. 1947, Revived 1997
Lewiston, Maine
12 January 2025
.Founded in 1947 by Anne and Jack Spiegel, Quoddy began after the couple fell in love with Maine during their honeymoon. They launched the company in Lewiston, creating moccasins known for their comfort and durability. After ownership changes in the 1970s, the brand went dormant, but was revived in the late 1990s when Kevin and Kirsten Shorey acquired the trademark. Today, Quoddy operates out of the Bleachery and Dye Works building No.1 (c. 1876) in Lewiston, where artisans handcraft each pair using traditional techniques. The moccasins feature a one-piece leather design, offering superior comfort and durability, with design influences from the indigenous Passamaquoddy people.
housing
Lewiston, Maine
11 January 2025
SNOW DAY pairs
Lewiston, Maine
5 - 11 January 2025
pejepscot paper company
1887 - 1985
Great Island, Topsham, Maine
10 - 27 December 2024
The Topsham Paper Company, founded in 1868, was the first paper manufacturing operation in the region, setting the stage for the area's industrial development. Located at the upstream end of Great Island, nestled between the banks of the Granny Hole Stream, the company operated until 1874. It was then succeeded by H.&A.W. Parsons, which ran the facility briefly from 1874 to 1875. In 1875, the Bowdoin Paper Manufacturing Company took over and operated until 1887, when it was replaced by the Pejepscot Paper Company. This company thrived for nearly a century, operating from 1887 until 1985. Since then, the Fore River Company has maintained the site, and it is now home to the popular Sea Dog Restaurant,
“ By 1753, the first wooden dam across the Androscoggin was constructed, the first of many to serve mills on the Granny Hole Stream. In 1796, a bridge linked Topsham with Brunswick, making this area of dams and mills the primary gateway to Topsham. It became a natural place for development. An 1802 map shows.. there were five mills, six stores, a cabinet maker’s shop, a blacksmith shop, and several other businesses as well as a courthouse and school.”
CAbot Mill
1834-1941
Brunswick, Maine
18 - 22 December 2024
“Italians, who knew the mining trade well, lived in tent cities near today’s Tedford Road, While French-Canadian families lived in the Topsham Heights up above the Androscoggin River but within walking distance of the mills on both sides of the river. A footbridge, known as the Swinging Bridge, made it much more convenient for the Catholic mill workers in Topsham to cross the river to attend Mass, spoken in French, at St. John the Baptist Church in Brunswick.”
The Cabot Mill stands on the historic grounds of Fort George and the site of an 1809 cotton mill, a location rich with industrial history. Established in 1834, the Cabot Mill became a hub of activity, employing many French Canadian workers who lived in tenements on both sides of the river. In 1881, a striking moment in labor history unfolded when children at the mill led a three-day protest after discovering that their peers in Lewiston were paid a penny more per hour. By 1890, the mill's growth was so significant that it prompted the town of Brunswick to move Maine Street to make way for its expansion. At its peak in 1930, over 1,100 workers filled the mill's halls, but as the years passed, it faced a decline and in 1941 sold the company to Verney Corporation, whom ultimately ceased operations in 1955, leaving behind a legacy of innovation, struggle, and historic change.
In 1986, Coleman Burke and Waterfront Maine purchased the Mill, transforming the once abandoned and deteriorating mill into a vibrant, mixed-use space. Through years of continuous renovation, it has evolved into a thriving hub, now home to over 100 tenants. The building houses a variety of businesses, including an antiques mall, a self-storage company, a radio station, a farmers market, restaurants, nonprofits, and numerous small businesses, making it a dynamic and bustling part of the Brunswick-Topsham area.
The Feldspar Mill
1872 - 1950’s
Cadahance, Topsham, Maine
17 - 19 December 2024
“Feldspar was mined from local quarries, with a mill on the Cathance River and with the principal mill of the Maine Feldspar Company on the eastern end of Elm Street near the railroad tracks. It had the capacity to process 40 tons of spar per day and employed 75 people. At one time, Topsham produced 1/8th of the feldspar used in the US and 1/16th of that used worldwide”
Feldspar is a group of minerals rich in alumina and silica, making up approximately 60% of the Earth's crust. As the most abundant minerals in terrestrial rocks, feldspar plays a crucial role in various industries. It is primarily used in the production of glass, ceramic and electric insulators, but its versatility extends to applications such as fillers in paints, plastics, and rubber. Many everyday products, including tiles, bathtubs, and tableware, contain feldspar. Additionally, it is used in agriculture as a supplement in chicken feed.
Located on the Cathance River at the intersection of Cathance Road, the Feldspar Mill began operations in 1872. At its peak, the Topsham Mill was renowned for producing the finest feldspar in Maine, and it became the sixth-largest feldspar producer in the United States. However, in the 1950s, the rise of plastics as a substitute for feldspar in manufacturing led to a decline in production. The mill pivoted by selling feldspar to local farmers as a filler in chicken feed. After closing in the mid-1950s, the mill sat vacant for nearly two decades before being repurposed into apartments. Over time, much of the mill’s original architectural structure was removed, and the building deteriorated beyond repair. In 2009, it was demolished in a controlled burn to make way for the creation of Head of Tide Park, which opened in 2011.
Robinson Manufacturing Co., Woolen
1849 - 2003
Oxford, Maine
13 - 11 November 2024
Located at the outlet of Thompson Lake, the Robinson Woolen Mill—originally known as Craigie’s Mill—has a rich history dating back to 1825 when it was founded by Andrew Craigie, a land speculator from Cambridge, Massachusetts . Craigie built a sawmill and gristmill and dammed the lake’s outlet to create a woolen and cotton cloth mill. The surrounding village area became known as Craigie’s Mill. Over time, the area attracted additional industry, including two textile mills: Harper’s Manufacturing Company and Robinson Manufacturing Company, as well as a barrel stave mill and a shovel handle factory.
In 1849, Joseph Robinson, an expert dyer in woolen and cotton cloth production, purchased the mill from Craigie, marking the beginning of the site’s legacy as the Robinson Manufacturing Co., Woolen. Robinson built the main structure, a four-story brick building, in 1863. It housed sixty-seven looms and employed an average of 150 men year-round. The factory produced a variety of goods, including dress fabrics, suitings, and repellents. Notably, it also manufactured a "beautiful oxford blue woolen twill that did not fade," which was used for Union uniforms during the Civil War
Today, the property spans approximately 130,000 square feet and includes 46 acres of scenic lakefront. Over the years, the facility has hosted a range of woolen and cloth industries, including apparel design, manufacturing, embellishment, and warehousing until it’s closing in 2003. Recently purchased by The Caleb Group of Lynn, Massachusetts, the site is set to be redeveloped into 75+ senior apartments, offering modern living with a rich historical backdrop.
Lunn & Sweet shoe co.
c.1878 - 1950
Auburn, Maine
11 November 2024
Lunn & Sweet Shoe Company was known for producing high-quality footwear to meet a wide range of needs. They offered durable work shoes for both men and women, elegant dress shoes for formal occasions, sturdy boots for outdoor activities, and utility footwear designed for comfort in demanding environments. The company also made sports and casual shoes, combining comfort and practicality for everyday wear. Using a mix of handcrafting techniques and early machinery, Lunn & Sweet primarily used high-quality leather, rubber for soles, and durable materials like canvas or felt. Factory machinery likely included stitching and pressing machines, along with tools for cutting leather, while many steps—such as hand-stitching and assembly—remained the work of skilled artisans.
At Lunn & Sweet Shoe Company, working conditions were typical of many shoe factories in New England during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Employees spent long hours in factories, often six days a week, with shifts lasting 10 to 12 hours. The work environment was generally noisy and fast-paced, as workers were expected to keep up with the production demands of mass footwear manufacturing. Safety standards were minimal by today’s standards, and labor disputes and strikes, such as the one in 1937, reflected the challenging conditions employees faced.
The company’s workforce was a mix of skilled artisans and laborers, each contributing to the company's success in crafting quality footwear. skilled shoemakers, revered for their leatherworking expertise in cutting and shaping leather, sewing, stitching, finishing, polishing and assuring quality control earned between $2 to $3 per day, depending on their experience and the type of work. Meanwhile, unskilled laborers, performed repetitive tasks like rough cutting, simple stitching, preparing components, assembling, and packing and shipping, earned around $1 to $1.50 per day. Women and children, often tasked with delicate stitching and finishing, earned $5 to $10 per week. In the 1870s, wages at Auburn shoe factories were paid based on piecework. Lasters earned $1.75 per case, heelers made $1.60 per case, trimmers received $1.50 per half-case, and peggers earned 30 to 40 cents per case. The average daily pay for skilled workers was $2, while girls earned between $1 and $1.25 per day. Each role, from the craftsman meticulously shaping leather to the factory helper putting together the components, played a vital part in the production of the durable, high-quality shoes that Lunn & Sweet was known for. The Lunn & Sweet Shoe Company closed in 1950.
LUNN neighborhood
Auburn, Maine
11 November 2024
Roy CONTINENTAL Mill
c. 1858
Lewiston, Maine
07 November 2024
Originally built in 1858 as the Porter Mill, the Roy Continental Mill has a rich history that spans over a century. In 1866, the property was acquired by the Continental Co., which expanded the facility and gave it its new name. By 1895, the mill had become a bustling hub of industry, employing 1,200 workers at its peak as a cotton mill. Over the years, the mill's legacy continued to evolve, housing a variety of businesses—from Commonwealth Shoe and Falcon Shoe to Malvee Stitching and Acorn Shoes. In more recent decades, the 560,000 sq.foot facility has even been home to Pantheon Guitars and a competitive cheerleading center, showcasing its adaptability and continued importance to the local community. Today, the Continental Mill stands as a testament to the enduring spirit of innovation and transformation.
Lewiston
29 October 2024
Atlas Supply
1958 - 2023
Lewiston, Maine
29 October 2024
Founded in 1958 by Rosaire LaFontaine, Atlas Supply Corporation began as a small sheet metal shop with the goal of providing local contractors and homeowners with high-quality ductwork, heating solutions, and building supplies. Over the years, the company grew into a respected name in the industry, known for its craftsmanship and personalized service. A third-generation family business, Rosaire's daughter, Lise, (Lothrop) and her husband Jeff, took over Atlas Supply in the early-1980’s, with their son Alan eventually managing sales, After forty-years of dedicated service, Lise and Jeff decided to retire, and in December 2023, the closing of Atlas Supply marked the end of an era for this beloved third-generation family business,
Canal HYDRO Station
Lewiston, Maine
29 October 2024
In 1836 Edward Little, Josiah Little* and others created the Great Androscoggin Falls, Dams, Locks and Canal Company. They started with $100,000 in capital and their purpose was to develop water power on the Androscoggin River in Lewiston. They were unable to raise more capital to continue the project, so things came to a standstill. In 1845 they reorganized as The Lewiston Water Power Co. and sold stock in Boston to industrialist like Benjamin Bates and others.
1850 digging of the canals began. The Irish dug the canals, In 1849, The Lewiston Water Power Co. had an unfinished mill and Ben had them complete it. Ben took it on and Bates Manufacturing Co. was incorporated in 1852. This was Bates Mill no.1. It stood on the west side of the main canal. This mill employed 200, and paid 60 cents day. It was 150,200 square feet of space. Mill # 1 stood by itself, and the boiler plant was next.
HILL MANUFACTURING CO.
1864 - 1923
Lewiston, Maine
27 October 2024
The Hill Manufacturing Company, founded in 1850 by the visionary industrialist Thomas J. Hill, marked the beginning of a pivotal chapter in Lewiston-Auburn industrial history. Quickly becoming a cornerstone of the region’s textile industry, the mill thrived for over a century, contributing to the area’s economic growth and cultural vibrancy. Known not only for its innovation in manufacturing, the company also fostered a strong sense of community, with a company baseball team and employees organizing lively hockey games in the mill’s parking lot. However, in 1971, after a long and storied history, the mill’s operations came to an end when it was absorbed by the Bates Manufacturing Company,
BATES MILL No.5 weave shed
1912 - 1914
Lewiston, Maine
27 - 24 October 2024
Rail industrialist Benjamin Edward Bates IV founded Bates Manufacturing Company in 1850, and the construction of Mill No. 1 was completed in 1852. By 1857, Bates Manufacturing was producing 5.7 million yards of cotton goods, running 36,000 spindles, and employing 1,000 workers. By 1866, Lewiston boasted 8 cotton mills, 33 water wheels, and 220,000 spindles. The city's mills produced 30 million yards of cloth, employing over 3,500 women and 1,500 men, including children.
Bates Mill No. 5, a 350,000-square-foot facility covering 4.2 acres, was originally constructed in 1856 as a planing mill and lumber yard. By the 1890s, the building had been repurposed as a storage facility for paper products and historic mill equipment from neighboring mills. In 1912, renowned industrial architect Albert Kahn from Detroit transformed mill no.5 into a weave shed. Designed to house 300 Jacquard looms, Kahn’s state-of-the-art construction featured durable concrete designed to withstand the looms heavy vibration and retard fire, while the building’s distinctive saw-toothed roof provided natural light and a built-in cooling system, catering to the needs for 2,500 new workers.
The opening of Mill No. 5 in 1914 marked a pivotal moment, laying the foundation for Bates Manufacturing to become the largest private employer in Maine and one of the largest textile producers in the world. By the mid-20th century, the company manufactured 60,000 bedspreads a week, had five mill divisions and employed over 5,000 people. Three of these mills were located in Lewiston—Bates, Hill, and Androscoggin—while others included the York Division on Saco Island and the Edwards Division in Augusta.
In 1940, Benjamin Bates introduced a new bedspread brand called "George Washington's Choice," produced on Jacquard looms in Mills No. 5 and No. 6. The brand was inspired by the bedspread used by President George Washington and Martha Washington at Mount Vernon. Bates and Faribeault continued to use Mill No.5 as a weave shed until the late 1990s. The mill also harnessed the canal system to generate electricity, with power production continuing from 1914 until the city of Lewiston purchased the property in 2016. However, by the mid-1990s, outsourcing and rising foreign competition led to the closure of Bates' operations. In 1992, the City of Lewiston foreclosed on Bates Mill due to unpaid taxes..
EDWARDS MANUFACTURING CO.
1845 - 1989
Augusta, Maine
19 October 2024
In 1845, Edward’s Manufacturing Company set up a cotton mill complex along the Kennebunk River on Canal Street. Within forty years, it became one of Augusta's largest employers, with 2,000 employees. The company achieved national fame during World War II for manufacturing uniforms for the U.S. military. Unfortunately, in November 1989, the complex was destroyed by a fire and later demolished to create a waterfront park. The last remaining building was sold for $1.00 to a restaurant developer in September 2021. As of June 2023, Sand Hill Bagel Company has opened in the Edward’s Powerhouse Building, offering gourmet bagels, soups, and drinks.
TimberLine SEWING Kits
1987 - 2006
Pittsfield, New Hampshire
13 July 2024
Timber Line, founded by Martha A.F. Hussey in 1987, specialized in manufacturing and selling clothing and sporting equipment in kit form. Before becoming Timber Line, the factory had a long history as a cannery, where my paternal grandmother, an aunt,and cousins worked.
bRIER hILL sTEEL
Girard, Ohio
29 May 2024